Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dr.Seuss!!


Today, if you didn't know, is Dr.Seuss' birthday. If he were still alive, he'd be 105 (notice the rhyme? totally intentional.). Dr.Seuss, or Ted Geisel (yes, he had a real name!), is by far my favorite author/illustrator. Of course I love children, so the fact that his books are aimed towards children gives them a certain appeal, but mainly I love the messages he sends with his stories...not your average pointless kids' stories, but stories that actually have meaning behind them. My favorites (narrowed down quite a bit, as I have many) are:

The Butter Battle Book,



Green Eggs and Ham (which he wrote in response to a bet that he couldn't write a book using 50 words or less...bet you didn't know that, huh?),



The Lorax,



Horton Hears a Who (which wasn't done justice in the movie),



and The Cat in the Hat (I have tattoos of Thing 1 and Thing 2...it doesn't get much better than that!)



Check out his website for a bigraphy, games, and a store where you can by Dr.Seuss books. And as my one last tribute to him, for today...a poem:

I just moved to the country club [the redneck version of one]
So I can give my brother lots of hugs.
Where after I write on my blog,
I can go outside and walk the dog.
Today I'll find out if I have a job,
Though my boss' name won't be Bob.
And I'm happy to say,
This could be a great day!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR.SEUSS!


PS-Check out Google's tribute to him, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment